January 5, 2010

Discipline!

So, this is my general blog. I have a New Year's resolution to, starting in 2010, read one full book each week along with parts of other books each week. In 2011, my plan is to increase to two books each week, then three-a-week in 2012, etc. The first book I read was a bit of a cop-out, Stephen King's Cycle of the Werewolf, because it was quick and I knew it would give me a boost of confidence if I started with a book I knew I could finish. It took about two hours, which were broken up into a few fifteen - thirty minute chunks. In my next post I'll give it a review, and I'm thinking that I'll make some smaller posts on the ten pages I'll be reading of the other books each day. I know that for someone who loves reading, which I am, that seems like not very much reading at all, but I'm finding myself getting a little depressed with my life and it makes me not want to do anything, even things I love. Therefore, I need to get into a routine that will help me regain a little light somewhere.

You might say, "LDJ, how is it that forcing yourself into routine will make your life better? Isn't it getting out of routines that usually helps depression?"

Well, my reply is, "There is no routine in my life. The job I have is rather random and unstable and money is unpredictable and you know what? Routine is a welcome change. It's something I need."

"Fair enough," you should say back.

I'll begin the week by writing something like (and I'm just thinking out loud here, folks):

Sunday: 10 pages in the Bible
Monday: 10 pages in the Mahabharata
Tuesday: 10 pages in the Koran and its various spellings
Wednesday: 10 pages in the Analects of Confucius/Tao Te Ching
Thursday: 10 pages in Random Non-Fiction Book
Friday: 10 pages in Random Other Book
Saturday: 10 pages in Random Other Book
Weekly Book: Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King, at least "x" pages each day to reach goal

And we'll see day-by-day how I do. Well, I've made the weekly goal, but I'll have to do some catch up and decision making with the rest of the list, so I had better get on it, eh?

1 comment: