January 16, 2011

Tacos

So, a little look into my life and what I could eat every single day: homemade tacos. One night a few weeks ago I ate seven tacos. If you want to know what a feat that is, I weigh 128.2 lbs. When I move out, just like I did when I was in grad school, I'll most likely fall into the habit of buying taco ingredients in bulk and eating them for dinner every night. Let's break it down into how far I can take these ingredients:

5 pounds ground chuck: $8.39
colby cheese (blocks, because I FLOVE it home-shredded): 3 for $5
large bottle of Ortega taco sauce: $3.99
hard taco shells: 18 for $2.99
All-purpose seasoning (it doesn't have to be taco seasoning): $2.39
small zip-lock freezer bags: 40 for $3.29 (for the meat)

I'd probably eat between 2-4 tacos a night, so the shells will last a little less than a week. The five pounds of chuck will last for months, though, and since it can be divided up and frozen and be fine for that amount of time, it's awesome.

But initially I'm spending $26.05. Plus tax for the freezer bags. Of course I probably would take a break from the tacos and not eat them every night, but if I had to chose one meal I was forced to eat for the rest of my life, that would be it. And as you can see, I like them simple. I like sour cream and avocado and all, but not on my hard tacos.

How I can use these ingredients in my other meals: cheese can go on chili cheese home fries or in chili; the hamburger can be used for chili; I use the seasoning on my eggs for breakfast; I like taco sauce in place of ketchup for things like fried potatoes.

(Off-topic: I type two spaces after a period. I hear this is some form of blasphemy now, but I don't really give a damn. I learned to type with two spaces. I could teach myself otherwise but that's ridiculous. What is the purpose? I'm a writer who sends out my manuscripts, which will be re-typed if they are ever accepted by a publisher, so it's silly to ever worry about it. I mean, if I ever got a job where one of my main functions is to type correspondence or articles, etc. I'd have to learn the new way, but I think I'm going to cross that bridge when I get there. I only bring up this topic because I heard it drives some people nuts that there are people who aren't conforming to the new way, but I just have to ask, why do you care?)

5 comments:

  1. I use two spaces. Otherwise your sentences look all crammed together. Who needs that?

    We spent almost $10 on 3.5 pounds of ground chuck this week. I use to think cost of living differences were always exaggerated, but I'm thinking there's something to it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wrote this post because of how much you paid for 3 lbs of meat. Some of the prices on your list are just inconceivable to me. The funniest thing is when I lived in Indiana, even though they have tax on food, I often spent less on food there than here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I read that article in Slate about the punctuation thing (http://www.slate.com/id/2281146/) and he really did sell me. I looked it up in MLA and Ted's style manual and they all said one space. Plus, the history about the typesetting was interesting. So I'm going to try the one space thing. It's hard, though, because I'm used to the two spaces after a period and it's kind of killing me.

    BB says his entire dissertation is written with two spaces. The whole thing is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...yeah, I've known the rule changed for a few years now. The thing about it is, most programs like the one this blog uses automatically change it to one space. If you look at your sentences, you'll see it.

    Two sentences. Two spaces.
    Two sentences. One space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea there was an autocorrect for us oldfashioned fussbuckets. But still. I'm trying to do this the "correct" way. But with every space bar I hit, I have to think way too much. It's like I'm in eighth grade and learning to type all over the place.

    ReplyDelete