January 15, 2011

In the Way

No one else in this house has to go to work on Saturdays except for me. I don't understand why it seems that whenever I have to be there at 9:30 a.m. all these people who normally sleep until noon get up and get in my way, and then say asshole things to me when I say, "Can you wait about a half an hour to do that? I'll be gone for work then and it will be easier for everyone."

Oh, lord, how offensive and selfish of me. This morning I slept in a little figuring I had plenty of time to eat, shower, and get to work. My father sat in his little den-room playing on his computer until the moment I went downstairs. I had to try to maneuver around him as he microwaved last night's chicken wings and got ice. Eventually he saw I was standing waiting for him to move out of the way of the fridge and he said, "Am I in your way?" I said, "I don't really have much time," to which he replied, "Well then next time set your alarm earlier and you won't have that problem."

You know what? Fuck that. There was no reason he couldn't have waited until I was done making breakast to make his chicken wings. If I had taken a shower first and eaten breakast second, how much do you want to bet he would have waited until then to make those wings? It took me twice as long to make breakfast because I had to wait for him to be out of the way and then afterward I was frustrated and kept messing up.

My father does everything for me and I know he feels hurt when we have arguments. But he isn't always right. I know he cried when my mother told him I was going to move out this year. I know I'm his only true child. But I also need space. I need to not have to negotiate how I walk around this house every time I walk around this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment