March 29, 2012

Eternity

I'm going to be stuck here for eternity.

Today I went to apply for my first car loan. I expected them to say I had bad credit or that I needed more money down. Had they said either one of those things I would have sucked it up and continued to work on my credit and continued to save money.

But that's not what they said. They said the same thing all the apartment rental places said. They are words I've come to dread as much as, "You're over-qualified," or "You need more experience." They said, "You need a co-signer."

I don't know what to do. No one in my family has good enough credit. I know they don't, I've tried to use them as co-signers before. The car dealership told me I actually have fairly decent credit and that they could get me a nice loan, but because I have no history of any major financial loans (student loans don't count) they can't finance me alone.

The people in my family with good credit won't take a chance on the "losers" of the family. My parents are the only ones out of all 22 of their siblings who don't own a home. My parents can never make it to family reunions becaue they can't afford the trip. My brother and sisters and I don't have careers, we have jobs. We're black sheep.

I had one window of opportunity. My parents have filed for bankruptcy after bankruptcy ever since I was a child. My only chance was when I left for graduate school, when my parents each qualified for a car loan and paid off each car. If I had only known then that was the one moment I had a chance, I would have done something. Have I ever talked about the three most useless words in the English language? Could, woulda, shoulda.

My parents keep saying that they'll go to one of those "buy here, pay here" places and get a car. I keep telling them that won't help me, because that won't be a major loan for them and so five years down the road they still won't be able to co-sign for me. It won't get me into position to get out of here.

In January, my sister got $5000 from her income taxes (just in federal), $800 in child support, $2000 from her online school to buy a computer, and $900 in paychecks. That's $8700. She bought dinner three times. She put gas in the car every few days. She gave the standard $400 a month she has agreed to for living with my parents. And that's it. No way in Hell that equals $8700. And yet she was angry when my mother asked her to give me some money to put down on a car, seeing as what ran my good car into the ground was her brood needing to go everywhere under the ever-loving sun. She reluctantly handed over the money ($400), claiming it to be the last she had. For four years, my parents have waited for tax season every year because my sister says she's going to move out this time, she's not going to waste her money, she's going to get her driver's license and a car and an apartment and $8700 was by God enough for that and she still didn't. Just like last year. Just like next year.

I don't know how to get out of this. My only option, really, is to get either a second job or a better job and start saving money. I'm afraid of even that, because when someone gets $8700 and doesn't even pay one bill, doesn't offer extra help in any way, and so still my parents are struggling to pay the electric bill and turn to me to come up with it on the day of the disconnect notice, I don't know how to say no. Everyone tells me to just say no, but how can I? I live here and it would be my electric being turned off, too. If the water is turned off, how will I shower for work? If there's no insurance on the car what would happen if I got pulled over for my headlight being out, like last year? It isn't as easy as it sounds to just pretend I shouldn't have responsibility.

Last year, when I had the money and the means to get out of here, I applied for a few apartments. Everyone needed a co-signer and no one was good enough. I don't know how to climb out of this hole. It seems like the dirt just gives way and I fall back in, covered with that dirt.

2 comments:

  1. I have NEVER (not once) been asked to get a co-signer for an apartment. I am fully stunned that you have to get one. Even when I had NO RENTAL history and was just out of college, I just needed proof of a job and some personal references (read: would not kill the landlords). Honestly, I think your best bet would be to find a place with a landlord that isn't a management company (like a landlord who only owns one or two places).

    But in terms of car loans, I think you should get a beater and then if you get an apartment (Craig's List!), you will at least have a rental history. I'm guessing that part of the "need a co-signer" is that you've reached a certain age and just don't have ANY history, right? So they're concerned that you've lived off the grid for so long and they need something? Would a rental history help that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it would. I think I may need to get a little, slightly run-down apartment somewhere just to have my name on a lease. Part of the co-signer thing is that I've never had a major financial loan. The car guy did ask me if the lease for our apartment was in my name, and I explained that I was not the first name on the list but I did have to sign the lease, so I am basically a roommate. The car dealership is going to see about a few more co-signers I have in my pocket (my sister-in-law and my brother, who I didn't use before but who just might work. If they don't work out I'll have to go to a different kind of place (one of the "buy here, pay here" places).

    ReplyDelete