June 14, 2011

Urban Fantasy

I had never heard of this genre of writing before, but it perfectly encapsulates the kind of writing I have always loved. While I enjoy fantasy here and there, knights and elves and witches and the like, I've really really always enjoyed books where our modern world and fantastic phenomena coexist. It's why I love magical realism.

A book Amazon recommended to me, Switched, by Amanda Hocking, is described as this kind of "urban fantasy." I LOVE this term. It is perfect for the kind of writing my favorite authors write. I would even put Harry Potter in this category because it is set in the modern world but deals with fantastic events. LOVE. Harry Potter most likely spawned this genre, or at least was the breakout star of it.

I'm excited to be able to tell people what I write when the ask, because they always stare blankly at me when I say magical realism and they roll their eyes when I say fantasy. "Urban fantasy" might at least get their attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment