June 14, 2012

Living for Me

This weekend, I bought a new refrigerator to go in my bedroom.  It's 3.2 cubic-inches and holds about three times as much food as my previous fridge.  My plan was to feed myself.  I'm quite tired of feeding five lazy people.  I don't mind feeding my parents - they pay almost all of the utilities and the rent and, besides, they fed me.  But every time I go to the grocery store and buy food, it will be eaten within twenty-four hours.  Last weekend my mother bought a pack of twenty Hot Pockets and it was gone by that evening.  I can't afford this any more.  A few weeks ago we came downstairs to breakfast to find my nephew making four subs - two for himself, one for his girlfriend, and one for the kid who slept over the night before.

It's not like we can designate food to people, either.  If my mother buys herself ice cream and tells those people not to eat it because she's treating herself, she better buy a serving she can eat in one sitting because as soon as she goes to bed they are going to eat that ice cream behind her back.  I can't stock up on frozen meals to take to work either because even if I write my name on them in permanent marker they will eat them.  (Or they will microwave them, I will catch them, they will get angry that I'm angry, and they will throw it away saying, "Fine, I won't eat your stupid dinner then.")  Today my father went to get some leftover chilli and when he opened the container someone (read:  my nephew) had decided they didn't want to scoop out a serving into a bowl so they put crackers in the container and then decided they didn't want it anymore, so they just put the lid back on it and walked away.  It was a mushy, disgusting mess and an incredible waste.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I also can't buy food I want to eat because I have to worry about portions that will feed eight people.  I have to buy chicken legs, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, five-pound-packages of hamburger, spaghetti (yuck), white bread, American cheese, tater tots, ground steak patties - this is a weekly list.  We eat those things freaking weekly.  And they must be in constant supply.  I just can't take it.

So tonight, I went to the store and spent way more money than I had intended to fill the new fridge.  But I bought things I want to eat.  I bought bacon-flavored cheese-filled mushrooms, salsa, tortilla chips, gouda cheese, salami, and two kinds of hummus.  I've decided that every paycheck I will buy the ingredients for a recipe, starting with recipes from Martha Stewart's Food Magazine. 

This week's special:  Baked Eggs in Tomatoes.

I will substitute feta cheese for the parmesan, though, because I only like parmesan on pizza, as a substitute for mozzerella (not my favorite).

I'm tired of being so unhappy.  I know they're mad that I've been splurging on myself lately but you know the drill.  Fuck 'em.  They're selfish bastards and they're breeding a selfish bitch in me. 

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. I'm glad you got a bigger fridge. Now, if only you didn't have to share the kitchen with everyone, you'd be all set!

    ReplyDelete