August 4, 2010

The Reincarnation of the Netbook

After an automatic update earlier this morning, the netbook died. It was stuck in a loop of telling me that Windows couldn't start normally, so when I would try the thousand things the internet told me to do (I got on my father's computer) it would just loop back to the same screen over and over again. Thankfully, our local rent-to-own shoppe - which my mother has a serious relationship with - told me that there was a secret way to recover the system.

So I lost everything I had stored on here. Luckily, I have learned the hard way to back up anything I fear losing on a flash drive, so I didn't lose much. I did lose the Kindle, and even though I got it back later, I lost all of my notes and marks. Small price to pay to have one of my prized possessions back.

The sucky part was that right after the computer recovered a storm hit and we lost power. I hadn't downloaded the Kindle yet at that point, so I had to read a book - a real book - by flashlight to pass the time. It was kind of hilarious. This is another pro in my long-standing debate on whether to shell out the money for an actual Kindle: it would have, most likely, been able to sustain power to read through that two-hour period. But here's another con: we could have been without power for a long time, and a regular book needs nothing other than a source of light. There's always candlelight.

1 comment:

  1. I have a booklight for my Kindle. One AAA battery lasts for 20 hours. When we were in Iowa last weekend, the power went out and I happily read with my booklight!

    ReplyDelete