June 26, 2010

Shane Sullivan, You Were Right.

So my friend Shane used to argue with me when we were in grad school at Ball State University. What did we argue about? He said that the future of reading would be computerized and I said, quite emphatically, "No." I reasoned that no machine could ever replace the feeling of having a book in your hands or the satisfaction of finding a rare, good read.

Vehemently I argued this. And now, I've spent the last few months reading on my...machine. And drooling over other machines whereupon I could read and store more books (I'm thinking now of getting a Nook, because it would be extra room since it couldn't be the same books as the ones that are on my Kindle PC - well, it COULD be, if I bought them twice, but you know what I mean). Anyway, I always think of him whenever I'm reading on here and whenever I browse Amazon looking for rare, good(free) reads.

Shane died my second year of school, but if there's a Heaven (you know it's got a hell of a band) Shane is pointing and laughing and doing some kind of I-told-you-so-dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment